Well here we go, bought my self an old car which i will recondition. It’s all rust and it’s not working at the moment but soon it will shine again. The model of the car is a Volvo Duett from 1964. Originally it didn’t have a flatbed, somebody has cut off the back of the car during the years, lucky me, this is what i want. I will do the recondition in two steps. Step one, get it to work and pass the vehicle inspection. Step two is to make it look like a new but old car again.
Here is a picture, more will come
Harry delivered “Duttan” for me. First thought that comes to mind… “what have I done? Its crap! So much work! ” Anyways I’m glad i finally got it. Started to pick it a part right a way. Johan, the previous owner added some spare parts to my buy, things I soon will need. I changed the ignition switch and when done tired to turn it on, wow! the engine rotated slowly which is ok after almost twenty years at rest. To be honest my battery was crap! Below is a pic of my balcony, i have spare parts all over the house
During delivery my manifold got destroyed. Looking around I found a man selling parts fitting my project. So I went to him and bought everything. Now i have an extra motor, gearbox and a lot of nice spare parts that will come in handy. Any body looking for new spare parts, have a look here, the best in business! http://www.vp-autoparts.com
Ok… I have had the car for quite some time now. Rainy days slowed me down so I had to put it in the garage, build walls against my neighbors. Today I’m done with scraping the under body. Now its time for welding holes and wire brush it. Then add primer and under body mass . After that I will use Fertan, a great fluid for fixing rust. Got the tip from this link, http://www.californiaclassix.com/Bernard/PV544-1.html
Everything is going slowly forward… very slow As you can se from the picture some part are anti rust primed. The flat bed has been welded, primed and today I also got done with the undercarrige. It’s been taking forever to clean, wire brush and fix all rust under the car. But finally I can move on to other more fun stuff, like fixing holes in the cabin, replacing the fenders. My plan is to remove the old fenders very soon since it’s getting to cold outside soon to paint. I will fix fenders, a new hood and other smaller parts during the winter in my store room. Btw, I don’t know if using Fertan was such a hit… very messy to deal with and I’m not sure it did any good.
Yes! I’m getting somewere After having done the right front wheelhouse I hasty grind-ed the cabin and did some basic puttying. Not that mush in work but the feeling is great, seeing that blue color instead of the darn red one. When doing the wheelhouse i noticed that I need to replace the front crossmember, it was all rust …
Long time since i wrote something here… The project is still ongoing. Since it is winter here I have moved in to the litte store house. Its very small but I have room for fixing doors, hood, front, fenders as long as I do one at a time.
I have had to do a lot of welding cos of all rust. I have also found a product that removes rust and its actually working As I said before Fertan didnt work for me. Now I use “Smedens rost borttagare” http://www.smedjans.com/default.asp – The trick is to drown the item over night in the accid. Nextday almost all rust is gone. This weekend I made fenders for the rear wheels, todays project is buying more paint and stuff so that I can complete them.
Another tip, for all of you looking for Classic style mirrors, check out this page:
Long time since i wrote something here… The project is still ongoing. Well still winter here or should I say again.. My old lady came back from the painter, now it’s grey and shiny. A very good job done. I now days spend my time completing the smaller things like doors and polishing the chromed stuff, in spring ( read summer ) I hopefully will be able to put it back together.
Well the summer has come and gone. I’ve spent most of it in the garage with my old lady sorting out all kinds of trubbles . The electric parts where a mess. Somebody had done a lot of fun things… they thought. The breakes gave me a lot of trubble and mounting the doors and hood where a real pain!
Here are some newer pictures.
Improved clutch, feels like a modern car, so exact!
Asambling the front.
Here we are at the first market/exhibition.
Its not fully ready, some changes have been done to the bumper and paint job since then. Will complete the interior when the weather lets me.